In this moment, I need to let go of an irritation, so I can enjoy THIS moment, rather than sour it by dwelling on the irritation that was. 🙂

Time for a delicious coffee!☕

2. Carol

I find practicing mindfulness extremely helpful. I have to pause, check in and see what I’m telling my self. A lot of voices live in my head and sometimes it’s necessary to call a meeting and remind them who’s chairman of the board! I have to be present to myself before I can be present to others. This question reminds me of a poem I wrote in 2009. I share it below. Have you ever noticed that the words “Now here” and “No where” contain the same letters?

Now Here or No Where

If one is not NOW HERE,
    one is NO WHERE

The intellect craves a place.
    The spirit flows like the wind
    into every nook and cranny.

When someone recounts an experience,
    they might say, “You had to be there.”
    But to truly “be there” you have to “be here,”
    Present to the one sharing the memory.

You can run “there” to get away from “here,”
    But you most likely will find yourself
    NO WHERE,
    lost and disappointed.

Now Here or No Where
    Your choice moment by moment

3. Patricia

Having a good night of sleep improves my capacity for presence, for kindness, for almost everything good in my life.

I hear you! I hope you start getting better sleep, Patricia. 🏵

Stop. Look . Go.

Definitely meditation! Practicing is a plus for staying in the present moment. I have an app on my iPhone that stays breathe, and you can set it for a certain number of times a day, and it pops up for me during the day to remind me to take a moment and breathe. This really connects me to the moment.
    There are times when I am deeply scattered, and Kevin reminded me in his writing that I used to go to YouTube and watch the Tibetan monks humming/singing mantras. Thanks Kevin for the reminder!

I have a tendency to get lost in my thoughts. I used to think being a master multitasker was a good quality, but not so much anymore! If I focus on my breath, I am able to be more present with a situation, person, or just myself. So I breathe in with intention and breathe out with peace.

7. Nelson

I use the Pomodoro method at work. Focused, intentional work for 25 minutes then take a 5 minute break. During those 25 minutes, no distractions. No phone. No browsing. I get a lot done when I’m present.

8. Butterfly

I am just now reading The Sun My Heart by Thich Nhat Hanh and finding his teaching a great help in focusing my “being present”.

9. Maurice Frank

Stop myself when my urge to task switch occurs.

10. J
    Jules B

I think trying to be more aware of transitions is helpful – not to mindlessly move on to the next thing – pick up my phone, put the radio on, go and get the washing, make lunch . ..using transition points as noticing points brings me to the present

1. Sandra

This is so helpful, Jules, thank you

2. Maurice Frank

Jules, I never thought of presence that way. Thank you for this insight.

11. Marnie Jackson

Focus on what is happening in front of me – and be more self-aware of my ruminating thoughts.

12. Carla

I’ve slipped into multi-tasking, again, as the “to do” list seems to be growing. When I was a child (in 1960’s) my mother took in ironing to feed us 5 kids. These were the times of long sleeved white shirts that needed starching. She focused on one shirt at a time, while I sat nearby coloring, chatting and practicing spelling for school. I need to “iron more,” focus on the singular item before me.

Focusing.

1. Maurice Frank

That would help me too. Thank you.

Being silent, either in worship or sitting in silence by myself, helps me to be present to the here and now throughout my day.

I also find it helpful to read the words, prayers, and mantras (sometimes sung) of other people from various traditions and cultures regarding the concept and practice of being present. Yet on this particular topic, I keep coming back to the following prayer:

“Dear God of all time and all creatures, help me to live fully within this cycle of infinity that is your gift to me. Make me less fearful of the measure of time, and more fully alive in the time that simply is. Help me to live time, not just to use it; to breathe it in, and return it in acts of love and presence.” – Avis Crowe

1. Maurice Frank

Thank you, Kevin, for sharing this beautiful prayer.