I’m always content when spending time with my children and grandchildren……pure joy.

2. Joseph McCann

Coffee in the dark before dawn.
    The sounds of water.
    All the sounds of the natural world.
    The stars out here unimpeded by mankind’s obsession of artificial night lighting.
    The aging process even though the miles can be felt.
    Being in the loving embrace of my wife.
    The voices of my children and grandchildren.
    A crisp fall day and sitting by the wood stove when chilled.
    A fine supper at the end of the day.

1. Carol

Joseph, ” My practice of gratitude, mindfulness, awareness and being in the present has gives me contentment.” Your opening statement says it all. It is my thought that our willingness to grow in awareness is our only job and the only hope for our species. It offers us eyes to see and ears to hear so we may be healed. It’s evolutionary.

Also, I chuckled when you mentioned “sitting by the wood stove when chilled.” It made me think of my late husband’s grandfather. He lived in the Ozark mountains in his elderly years. When he could no longer live alone, my father-in-law moved him into town into a house with central heat. Grandpa kept telling Pops, “It’s cold in here.” Pops kept turning up the furnace until the thermostat was reading 90 degrees. Grandpa still said he was cold. Pop said, “You can’t be!” Grandpa shot back, “THERE’S NOTHING TO WARM BY!” He missed his wood stove.
      When we to west central Louisiana from the city of New Orleans, LA when my children were small and lived on 20 acres in a small cottage surrounded by woods. We did have a 10 acre hay field and 2 small ponds. We heated the 1940s farm house with space heaters to warm by. We refused to have a yard light. We wanted to see the stars at night. Reading your post has taken me back to those days. Thank you.

1 month ago

Thank you, Carol – indeed a wood stove is ‘warming’ – as are space heaters! We had both in our house in Yogaville VA 💓💓

1 month ago

Listening, watching and sitting still by the ocean.
    Rowing with my team at sunrise.
    Sitting silently in our Quaker meetinghouse.
    In bed, asleep, alongside my wife.

1. dragonfly

Living on the prairies I so miss the ocean. There is a big lake 2 hours’ drive away and it is not a bad substitute for an ocean. Just like you I can sit by it listening to the waves lap at the rocky shores, watching waterfowl glide along, bobbing on the waves and diving into the cool water. It is a very peaceful scenery filling me with peace, awe and contentment. Life is good at the water’s edge.

1 month ago

Silly me, dragonfly – I loved the Eastern woods and tried to remind myself that the Pacific Ocean was also nice, as I walked along the shore at night 💓💓

2. Rabbit

Every time you mention rowing, I think of a book that I recently read. It is: Lessons in Chemistry
      by Bonnie Garmus.

1 month ago

Good heavens, Rabbit – I was a chem major long long ago – that book ‘has my name on it’, doesn’t it? 💓💓

1. Rabbit

It does! It has a lot to say about how women were treated in the workplace in the 50s and 60s and I think she might have seen some parallels now or had a fear of them in the future prompting her to write this book. That is just my thinking though, I could be way off on that. Sometimes we see what we want to see or what our experiences have been.

Behind my piano.

1. Carol

Dear Christine, I hear you and your answer brings me joy and contentment. Music is the universal language.

1. Rabbit

Carol,
        I am reading “The Violin Conspiracy” by Brenden Slocum. It also has a play list on You Tube to go with it.

dear Carol,
        My passion is accompanying singers and melody instruments. How I would love to hear you sing next to my piano. I think we would make music heart to heart 😍💕 .

early mornings
    coming home after work
    time spent with my family
    weekends
    TGIF:)

1 month ago

These moments early in the morning when the rest of my house is sleeping. I get up very early and meditate, setting myself up for the day, and I appreciate the quiet time and practice.

There are also the moments with my husband… whether we’re sitting at the table with a beautiful plate of food, on the couch relaxing, or out walking with the dog. Just being together, really, makes me feel content.