Life offers so many moments where we might feel content.
    – Moments of emotional intimacy with friends or family.
    – Sleeping in.
    – Getting lost in creativity.
    – Absorbing nature.
    – Doing a good job.
    – Sharing a good meal with others.
    – Finishing exercise.
    – Even cleaning!

It seems like we are content both in moments when we are paying attention to the moment and when we have surrendered completely to it and are adrift in that moment.

My husband said something unusual to me the other day. He said, “I like it when you bake. You are so happy.”

It’s funny, but I hadn’t known that until he told me.

2. Cathie

When I am enveloped by nature, or when around people who love and accept me as I am.

3. a
    ajv

Early morning on the golf course in the spring/summer. Being outdoors, with the fresh air & quiet brings me a lot of peace.

After my meditation practice. And after journaling. These are the two times I need to find time in my life for, and I often neglect.
    When I am in Nature, or next to the ocean. If I am in the mountains at night, and go outside and sit on the steps, and look up at the sky and see all those stars above me….all of these things have given me much contentment.
    In my life now being in Nature, or doing meditation and journaling are the things that I can do. But to even remember sitting on the steps in the mountains at night, or being at the ocean and reliving those wonderful times take me back and give me a sense of some contentment.

Isn’t that interesting, Mary Pat. Meditation and journaling are your self-care. I never “got” why people list manicures as self-care, not that it can’t be enjoyed, but on the other hand I completely get how mediation and journaling would be nurturing and restorative for you. Now that you are aware, I hope you give yourself more time for this! ❤

Yes indeed! That is the secret for me… The hardest part. To allow myself the luxury -and it is luxury for me-to give myself the same time I give others.

5. DeVonna

When I am alone with my thoughts I feel most content. In the mornings when I have my quiet time and in the evenings, when I retire an hour and a half before my husband. I usually go to bed with a book or to watch relaxation videos. It’s in those quiet parts of the day when I can focus, let go and really enjoy the life God’s given me. Oddly enough, I can acheive this level of contentment in the car as well. I stream slow jazz music while I sit in traffic and the feeling of contentment is profound.

6. Avril

Doing my morning gratitude work. The quiet before the girls gets up. After a great workout. Alone time with my amazing husband.

Snuggling with my husband and cat in bed, then waking up and snuggling on the dog (he’s much too big for the bed).
    During my morning meditation routine.
    While surfing and practicing yoga.
    Sitting on or walking the beach.
    Holding my husband’s hand.
    Right now 🙂

Surrounded by my grandchildren.

When pausing while rowing as the sun comes up.
    When a piece of writing I’m working on falls into place.
    When a grandchild yells, “Hey Grampa!”
    When sitting around a fire with friends.
    When the days promises are done.
    When I kiss my wife goodnight.

1. DeVonna

Very poetic, Kevin. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, DeVonna. My best to you!

Being with my children.
    Laying in bed with my cat.
    Relaxing in my home.

The most beautiful moments I experience have to do with feeding my soul. When I get a cheerful feeling in my heart. That is usually in nature, when I hear beautiful music, when I make music with others, when I walk past fruit and vegetable stalls on the market. Always when I think of my husband Karel. When my little girl next door gives me baked cakes. Then she stands at the door with a huge smile on her lips. If at the end of the day I’ve been able to say to myself “I don’t think I hurt a single heart from dawn to night.”
    The last sentence is from a longer poem/prayer. 😊💛

1. Pilgrim

Dear Christine, thank you for both of these offerings. I sense in them the heart and soul of a mystic, a knowing of the deep wisdom, and I am grateful.

Evening song
      It is good to look into one’s own heart just before going to sleep.

If I have not hurt a single heart from dawn to evening.

Whether I have not made eyes cry, have laid no melancholy on a being.

If I didn’t say words of love to unloving people.

And I find in the house of my heart,that I healed a sadness,that I wrapped my arms around a head that was lonely…

Then I feel on my young lips the goodness of an evening kiss.

It is good to look into one’s own heart and close one’s eyes in this way.

Alice Nanon