All of my organs. They sit inside me, doing their job without any effort on my part. And if/when one goes bad, you certainly know it! I never once in 47 years thought about my appendix until it almost ruptured last year (almost a year to date!). I didn’t know what was happening to my generally very healthy body, but I was in pain and none of the usual remedies were helping. Thank God my husband made me go to the ER. Less than 12 hours later, the appendix was out and I was on my way home. While I don’t have that particular part anymore, it certainly made me pause to think about my organs and all they do to keep this body going and all that I can do to keep them going! I definitely take them for granted, so I appreciate this question

2. Ed Schulte

I know full well that it is NOT “My body”, it is only on loan to me so that I may experience travelling in the ‘Kingdom of the Heavens’! So therefore I am not at liberty to take not even one atom of it for granted …..because, .even in that one atom is contained the entire Universe! It is a wonderful -Divine design!…………..

This is a meditation in Gratitude which helps to put meaning to the to often misunderstood “body” ……….

Close your eyes and relax, completely, your material body.

Your body is not yours,…it is the Holy Archangels of the elements , …. they sustaining it, they are entrusted it to, they give it to you, to call it yours.

Relax all the muscles in your body but feel that you are in it, with attention, but, without tension.

Just feel that you are in your body.

Breathe deeply, comfortably, and mentally say……..

Absolute infinite BE-ing-ness, the Logos, our father, who you are in his heavens and in us……… in your self,….In our Being self and in our body, everything is yours.

We are yours, our personality self, even sinful, is part of your selfhood. We are in your Oneness.

We do not ask you to clean us, we ask you to help us to clean ourselves, for your sake. We will try to clean this self of ours, and our present-day personality, so that there will be no stain or dirt on your own Self-hood. Help us to clean ourselves [so that] we to deserve saying…. “we are one with you, and in you”.

Breathe deeply, ……My Lord you are in the breath I am breathing, you are the life of my bodies and you are the life light of my personality. Help me to understand you. I will clean my personality self, and you clean it also, so that I will not be a stain in your selfhood.

Inspire me and help me to love all human beings, because whether we called them evil or good, they are as they are…….. in your selfhood. [6:00]

Divine Father, have mercy upon us.

Feel him in the pulse of your heart, feel his presence in your body and you will never feel alone.

Slowly begin to feel you are in your physical body again.

3. DeVonna

Wow…what a great question! I’d have to say in all honesty I take most of it for granted. I assume it will operate as I wish when I want it to. Shame on me! I am going to strive to be conscious of and grateful for my (mostly) healthy body, AND mind.

2 years ago

As I’ve gotten older I am learning not to take any part of my body for granted. I am noticing gradual loss of function, increasing aches and pains, having to wear glasses, smelling or taste not as strong as it used to be but I am accepting the reality that this is normal and part of the aging progress. Rather than contemplating and wishing that I was younger and more able, I try to focus on what I can do… and be thankful for the ability that I have rather than what I do not..

5. Katrina

I’m with Dusty Su on this one, not that it’s a contest. The autonomic nervous system is an amazing and miraculous system that by virtue of its name holds everything else in its power. And yet, I hardly think of it unless I have a pinched nerve, or my foot goes to sleep. From blinking eyes, to heart beats, to inhales and exhales, to walking into the next room – my body does (mostly) what I need it to do – though a little slower and with more effort than every – all because of this system.

6. RATASHIQ

What parts of your body do you take for granted? That perhaps would my entire body. I know I need to treat it with my TLC on a consistent basis.

7. Don Jones

I think my feet. From the moment I throw them out of bed to the moment they hit the sheets at night, upon reflection, I seem to take them for granted.

2 years ago

I watched a teen rower yesterday. I had arrived at the boathouse just after a group so they were putting in just before me, and as I waited I couldn’t help but marvel at the ease with which the boat was lifted and carried to the water, and lithely folded himself into the seat and rowed away. The grace was palpably different from my own experience and I was caught up by the sense of envy, not so much of the youthful skeletal and muscular array, but the innocence! As any teen male I assume he was not unconcerned about his appearance as much as the mechanics were something he seemed to have grown into.

And then I was led (as I often am) on a reverie of my own progression from that intensely awkward age of middle school where my body simply would not stop growing to something more constant in High School. And now, as change once again seems to greet me more often as the mileage takes its toll on my body, it is tempting to harbor a fear of future suffering and loss.

As I rowed out into the open water and eased into my own pace I certainly was aware of how the gift of the experience was not without risk of ending. And it made the row that much sweeter. The point though is that the joy was tempered by this potential of loss, and while I cannot be certain, presumably that was something my young friend was free of.

Which brings me to a question about this question: Does taking it for granted necessarily mean something negative? Couldn’t it be something beautiful and be rooted in a deep sense of secure confidence and afford a grounded feeling of peace? Do I have to have the shadow of loss, death I suppose, in every thoughtful experience? I can’t help but conclude I do not. It may be the height of sacrilege in this forum to posit that sometimes the simplicity of unknowing is a fine thing.

1. C
      Cliff

Really appreciated your story and reflections.

9. E
    Edith

My lower back. I experience chronic lower back pain after a bad sprain at work in my mid-twenties. Sometimes, if I don’t consciously notice how I am lying or sitting, the pain flares up and I have a hard time getting myself comfortable in most positions. When the pain flares up, I remember that I should not be taking that body part for granted, and to make sure I am aware of my body postures at all times.

2 years ago

After seventy-one years of wear and tear on this ever-ageing body, I take no part of my body for granted. Doing so runs the risk of that part screaming for attention!

1. Pilgrim

I’m with you on this, Kevin!

2. V
      Vincent-Edward Ciliberti

We happen to be the same age, and I definately share your you thoughts. Take good care

2 years ago

Thank you, Vincent-Edward, you as well my friend.

3. C
      Cliff

LOL

2 years ago

My heart and my mind……an amazing team which sustains me both physically and mentally yet I often take for granted.

2 years ago

My breath. Paying attention to the breath is a refuge and helps me from getting carried away by difficult emotions and helps me to relax. It also helps me come home to the present moment to realize that I am alive and that is truly a reason to be joyful.

13. Dusty Su

The autonomic nervous system, which is internal and unseen. It works so miraculously and without our needing to engage it. I take it for granted, mostly.
    I do a practice with our laughter group in how we thank our body and tell our body that we love it bit by bit. We roar with laughter often when we say we love our bums, our thighs, or bellies, and have to force ourselves to mean it. Yet, I have never led a thank you for the unseen except for our hearts, minds, brain. I will do that next time.