1. GratefulOne

In countless ways… Life is always uncertain. But we have to look to hope. Hope maybe allows us to embrace uncertainty. This poem “The Darkling Thrush” by Thomas Hardy describes uncertain times but with a hopeful message.

1. GratefulOne

Like Rumi says in “The Guest House”, “welcome and entertain” uncertainty!

2. A
    Alex

Delayed passport application, new addition to the family, and career application. Whatever trip we take will be wonderful and if the passports don’t work out then that is a chance to practice spontaneity and figure out a fun local/continental trip. Everything happens for a reason and there will be good memories regardless of how everything works out!

3. Kimmy

I tend to be a catestrophisizer. In the past, I have learned to be ready to run or protect myself. Today, my goal is to remain curious and open.

4. Pilgrim

I’m not sure embracing uncertainty makes sense to me. Really, isn’t everything in front of us uncertain? I am more of the idea that “Pilgrim, there is no path. The path is made by walking.” (Antonio Machado)
    Seems like every day I am presented with challenges – many of them physical. And so I make my way, one step (or moment) at a time, seeing how it goes. A pilgrim on the journey of life. Maybe that is a form of embracing uncertainty? If I wake up in the morning, the day is an offering. How shall I live it, one step or choice at a time?

1. Maeve

5. Nelson

I was taught uncertainty often causes my anxiety and overwhelm. I also learned uncertainty is caused by my thoughts of what’s going to happen in the future, and wanting to control the outcome (but can’t necessarily.) Mentors have taught me when I’m in that state of feeling amid uncertainty to slow down. Slow down in thought and in action. Pause. And just take one next step. Not ten, and not try to do everything. Just one step. I concluded uncertainty plays a purposeful role in my life: it reminds me to breathe and be present.

1 year ago

Very wise words.. I too often have monkey mind and need to do what you explained. It’s not always easy… a work in progress

6. Mike S

I have a progressive disease called macular degeneration. I am receiving treatments for it but there’s no guarantee that my vision won’t go all together. I have faith that I will live and still be able to read, even though I can’t now read books because the font is too small. I use my iPad for all my reading.

1 year ago

Hooray for our ‘tablets’. I’m up to the next-to-largest font size, without my glasses. And then there are audio books. My mother had macular degeneration, and I have a heightened genetic risk for it; but so far, so good. Warm wishes to you, Mike S –

7. Patricia

I don’t want to welcome uncertainty, but since it’s there anyway, I might as well cozy up to it, give it a quick hug and ask, “What is it you’ll teach me today?”

8. DeVonna

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    This old adage is right on track. In Florida we are prepared for Hurricane Elsa, but hope she passes us by. If she does, however, this means others will be hit, hard. Bad things happen. Pray for the grace to go through them honorably.

9. pkr

So much uncertainty currently in my life. This “uncertainty“ has been with me for the last year, all around a family medical emergency. I am trying, have been trying to embrace it all, staying in the present moment, praying & getting quiet. There have been good days & bad days. I am trying so hard to remember “Faith over Fear”. I have to remind myself that so much is out of my control. I am truly being “tested”, on so many levels.. “Faith over Fear”. 🙏
    And to remember LOVE, always. ❤️

1. sparrow

I carry you in my heart,
      dear pkr,
      as you live through these very hard days . . .
      ‘faith over fear’
      with love . . .
      sparrow ♥

1. pkr

Thank you sparrow for your kindness. Yes, Faith over Fear……🙏

10. Carol

As Buddhist teacher Jack Cornfield says in his book, “A Path with Heart,” “What do you know for sure, anyway?” I know that right now life is challenging me physically, emotionally and spiritually and I’m seeking professional help to deal with the anxiety and I’m thankful to know that help is available. Today’s quote is so true: “No matter how many accomplishments you achieve, somebody helps you.”

1 year ago

Quite a few things going on that have asked me to embrace uncertainty. This has always been tough for me, although the past few years it has been a little easier. My husband and I started our business, but we are still working our ‘regular’ jobs. But starting your own business is scary, so there’s been lots of that to deal with, along with questions of how long it will take to build our clientele, and all of the administrative sorts of things you have to do as well. But we are following our hearts and trusting…. and we have already seen the results of that with certain things “falling” into our laps, certain people coming into our lives. It’s really cool! There’s a big thing that could be a possibility for us, and we’ll be figuring that out soon.

Then there’s also the uncertainty of hurricane season living in the Southeast of the US. Michele mentioned Elsa, and that is definitely on our minds. I’ve lived in this area the majority of my life, so I’ve been thru some big storms, and while I’m never one to get pulled into the doom and gloom of these things, it can still be worrisome, to say the least. But that’s where trust comes back in and reminds me that it’s all going to be okay. I am praying for everyone in the path of this and any future storms.

12. Trish

There is conflict & ugliness occurring in my church parish which saddens me deeply. I am staying out of the drama & praying for peace. I would love to get to the place where I can embrace (not just accept) these kinds of situations as catalysts of change. I have the invitation to do it. I envision lots of prayer…..

1. GratefulOne

Hello Trish, I can relate. Good luck and may God help resolve the conflict.

1. Trish

Thank You!

13. l
    luna.mihee1

The fact that I bought a bundle of legal documents for a blog that I was thinking about seriously starting for a topic or a genre that seems more popular on YouTube, only for me to realize that I can’t get a refund on these legal documents that I viewed as unnecessary. Because I’m still in the process of figuring out whether a blog or a YouTube is something I want to pursue, in addition to wondering how the creator of those documents will respond while rejecting my asking for a refund, this forces me to really think about what purpose could a blog and/or a YouTube serve for the goals I have in my future.

1 year ago

I am realizing that you uncertainty is a thing of the future, something that we have not control of completely because of external factors. I try to live in the present, and only be responsible for my own actions and thinking, living in the now , focus on my breathing when necessary and practicing gratefulness

1 year ago

My ungrounded expectations (negative and positive) are a symptom of my creative imagination I have embraced for many decades. It is a source of amusement during times of bone crushing tediousness, allowed me to seek and mine humor in the depths of tragedy and loss (as a means of breaking a downward spiral of self pity). They are not helpful in the sense of setting me up for disappointment or unbridled glee when the reality that emerges either exceeds or fall behind my hopefulness. There is ample evidence that projection in general is unhelpful and exercising the ability to not indulge myself too much in them might be wise. However, I have never grasped that ability.

1 2 3