Registration Now Open
Grateful Grief: A Guide for Living with Loss
We invite you to join us this spring for a six-week course exploring the empowering and nurturing ways that the practice of grateful living can sustain and guide us when living with grief and loss.
Grief arrives in many forms and disrupts both the life we love and the life we have. As prevalent as breath, it is part of every human story, requiring us to reorient to days and lives we had not imagined. Where do we turn for solace and guidance in the midst of grief and uncertainty?
The practice of grateful living nourishes our daily lives and empowers us to find meaning and purpose in unexpected places — to show up to the uninvited life that is emerging in the wake of loss. This grateful stance acknowledges heartbreak and despair, while building our capacity to carry our sorrow alongside our joy. Yearning for what was and embracing what is, blessing the departures that birth the mystery of new arrivals — this is grateful grief.
- Six live online sessions (75 minutes): Tuesday, May 9 – Tuesday, June 13, weekly at 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. EDT via Zoom; recordings available the following day
- Six resource toolkits that deepen each week’s teachings
- A hosted virtual community space for sharing insights and learning
- Special guests Francis Weller, Susan Cain, David Whyte, Dacher Keltner, and Patricia June Vickers
- Ongoing access to all course materials
Through a combination of guided practices, direct teaching, special guests, and inspirational resources, we will explore the following questions:
- What possibilities live in the powerful — perhaps surprising — relationship between grief and gratefulness?
- What if you were to reimagine grief as sacred, the only response large enough for your love and also a light for the path forward?
- How can a gratefulness practice help build a bridge from the loneliness of grief to a sense of belonging?
- In what ways can grateful living help open the door to both grief and joy, both loss and possibility?
- What does gratefulness offer that might allow you to take a step into the hedge maze of new beginnings?
- What does it look like to live, create, and be in the world in a way that honors your grief? How can grateful living support your integration of grief into a life you never imagined?
The course will be taught by Joe Primo, our new CEO, and Sheryl Chard, Director of Education, along with five special guests. The journey will be enriched by Joe’s deep experience in the field of grief and bereavement.
Special guests joining us include:
- Francis Weller — Psychotherapist, author, and soul activist
- Susan Cain — International bestselling author
- David Whyte — Poet, author, and lecturer
- Dacher Keltner — UC Berkeley professor of psychology, director of the Greater Good Science Center, and author
- Patricia June Vickers — Trauma training expert and artist
Learn more about all of our guest speakers here.
Registration will be open through Thursday, May 4. You will need a free grateful.org profile in order to access course materials and participate in the virtual community space. If you already have a profile, please login before continuing.
This course is offered for a suggested minimum contribution of $75 ($300 value). Thank you for contributing at the level you are able. If $75 is not possible, please email us at [email protected] so that we can ensure access to all who are interested.
Registration for the live Grateful Grief course has closed. Don't forget to subscribe to stay updated on future offerings.