Welcome to the first day of our practice. Let’s begin…
Please close your eyes while you take three slow, deep breaths. Then open your eyes and read today’s commitment. This commitment is a big one. It has the power to transform our lives and impact all those with whom we come in contact.
Let the words settle into your being. “In thanksgiving for life, I pledge to overcome the illusion of ENTITLEMENT by reminding myself that everything is gift and, thus, to live GRATEFULLY.”
- Br. David asserts that entitlement is simply an illusion. Can we see how this might be true as we go about our day?
- Many of us assume that we are entitled to another day; a car that starts; a good mood…Why is it that we feel we are entitled to any of what we receive?
- Recognize the countless gifts that life offers us. Each moment is rich with gifts — our breath, our hands, the sun and the trees, our lungs, the device through which you are reading this, the ability to read…
- Notice how you feel as you bring to mind some of the many gifts in your life, knowing that none of us are entitled to those gifts.
- Commit to taking none of these gifts for granted.
“It is enough to be grateful for the next breath.” ~ Br. David Steindl-Rast”
If you would like to explore this topic further, you might appreciate:
- Katie Steedly’s Gratitude Conversation with Seth Godin
- Br. David Steindl-Rast’s A Grateful Day (5-minute video)