As people grieve over droughts all over the world and oil spills in our oceans, our awareness of how precious water is becomes clearer and stronger. In 2010, the International Council of Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers led prayers for healing for this vital resource, and A Network for Grateful Living offered water blessings and concerns from around the world via Twitter. We share these tweets with you here. We invite you to join us in prayers and in taking great care with all natural resources, especially, at this moment in time, our waters.
- Water cleanses and heals us. All life depends on it. Practice gratefulness for water.
- Penetrate the heart of just one drop of water, and you will be flooded by a hundred oceans.
~ Mahmud Shabistari
- Water is life’s mater and matrix, mother and medium.
~ Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
- The supreme good is like water, which nourishes all things without trying to.
- To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating….
~ John Burroughs
- When all the waters are polluted…only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree prophecy
- Oh! Mother Earth, who has the ocean as clothes and mountains and forests on her body, I bow to you.
~ Hindu prayer
- Water flows from high in the mountains; water runs deep in the Earth. Miraculously, water comes to us, & sustains all life.
~Thich Nhat Hanh
- All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water, so useful, lowly, precious and pure.
~ St. Francis of Assisi
- Gratitude to Water: clouds, lakes, rivers, glaciers; holding or releasing; streaming through all our bodies salty seas…
~ Gary Snyder
- The waves of the sea keep the rhythm of my dancing steps.
~ Pir-O-Murshid Hazrat Inayat Khan
- Living springs shall give cool water; in the desert, streams shall flow.
~ Hebrew, traditional
Comments are now closed on this page. We invite you to join the conversation in our new community space. We hope to see you there!