Join a Grateful Gathering near you:
Grateful Gathering FAQs
- What are Grateful Gatherings?
- How do I join a Grateful Gathering?
- What happens at Grateful Gatherings?
- Do I need specific experience or education to participate?
- What is the time commitment?
- Does it cost money to participate?
- Is there an age requirement?
- What are the guidelines?
- How do I host my own Grateful Gathering?
What are Grateful Gatherings?
Years ago, our founder Br. David Steindl-Rast articulated a compelling vision of groups of people around the globe coming together to discover, practice, and share how to live gratefully. He imagined a network of individuals and communities connected by the shared hope to transform themselves, their communities, and the world through gratefulness. Today, Grateful Gatherings take place across the United States and in ten countries around the globe.
How do I join a Grateful Gathering?
Explore our Directory to find a virtual gathering or an in-person gathering near you. The list features Grateful Gatherings hosts by their first name, preferred email address, and location in which their gatherings take place. To join a group near you, contact the host directly at the email address provided.
What happens at Grateful Gatherings?
Each Grateful Gathering is different, but here is what you can expect:
- Setting: Once every month, the local hosts pick a date and place — a home, café, park, online — to hold the Grateful Gathering.
- Gathering: Hosts facilitate the gathering using the monthly themed resources provided by our team. Each month’s theme contains a resource collection that typically includes a theme summary, essay, poem, video, discussion questions, and guided practice. Gatherings include thought-provoking questions, personal reflection, guided meditation, and playful activities, all designed to nurture a deeper understanding of gratefulness. Everyone is welcome to participate within their comfort level.
- Between Sessions: Each group can determine the ways that the would like to stay in touch between sessions. The resources we share each month often exceed what’s possible to include in a one-hour gathering, so we encourage participants to deepen their practice between gatherings.
Do I need specific experience or education to participate?
No. Everyone, regardless of their experience with or existing knowledge of gratefulness and Grateful Living, is invited to participate. At your first Grateful Gathering, your host will help orient you. If you are newer to Grateful Living, we encourage you to explore our website for some foundational principles and practices.
What is the time commitment?
There is no commitment beyond the time you make to show up at a gathering. Meetings are held once per month, each month of the year, but there is no requirement to attend a certain number in order to participate. Of course, we hope you’ll be inspired to participate in more than one as repeat participation builds connection and cumulative understanding, enriching the community and discussion.
Does it cost money to participate?
Essentially Grateful Gatherings are free to attend; however, if there is a cost related to renting space, your host may invite contributions to cover costs.
Is there an age requirement?
We recommend a minimum age of 18 to participate. However, hosts may use their discretion in admitting people under the age of 18.
What are the guidelines?
Our Participant Agreement helps ensure that Grateful Gatherings feel like a respectful environment for all.
How do I host my own Grateful Gathering?
We’re glad you’re interested! Please visit this page to learn more.